September 16th, 2016
Class Breakout & Discussion
- Break up into groups . . . each person will team up with others to investigate the empires of:
- The Greeks
- The Romans
- The Persians
- The Chinese
- The Indian
- A panel discussion will then attempt to answer the following questions: (we didn't get to more than a couple of these in class so make sure you feel comfortable answering these questions)
- What was the roll of the _____________ Empire in the history of the second-wave era? (Both positives & negatives)
- How did the Persian and Greek civilizations differ in their political organization and values?
- How did semi democratic governments emerge in some of the Greek city-states?
- What were the consequences for both sides of the encounter between the Persians and the Greeks?
- What changes did Alexander's conquests bring in their wake?
- How did Rome grow from a single city to the center of a huge empire?
- Why was the Chinese empire able to take shape so quickly, while that of the Romans took centuries?
- Why were the Roman and Chinese empires able to enjoy long periods of relative stability and prosperity?
- What internal and external factors contributed to the collapse of the Roman and Chinese empires?
- Why were centralized empires so much less prominent in India than in China?
- Outline check to make sure you're up to date on your reading and outlines. 10 points if completed . . . if not, get caught up.
1. Make sure that you take the Chapter 3 Test.
- Check your answers by taking a look at the Key.
- Answer questions 1-4 on page 154. Make sure to answer each part to each question in it's entirety.