September 1st, 2016
Quote of the Day
"I destroy my enemy when I make him my friend."
― Abraham Lincoln
Today in History
- In 1901 Teddy Roosevelt gave his famous "speak softly and carry a big stick" speech, regarding foreign policy.
- In 1945 Japan formally surrendered in WWII and was celebrated as Victory over Japan Day (V-J Day).
- In 1963 Alabama governor George Wallace prevented the racial integration of Tuskegee High School by encircling the building with state troopers.
- Make sure you understand: periodization, contextualization, continuity & change over time.
- Introduce HISTORICAL ARGUMENTATION.
- Examine Reconstruction while answering this question: "Were African Americans free during Reconstruction?"
Reconstruction after the Civil War
Step 1: Introduction to Reconstruction
Step 3: Divide up into Teams and answer the Guided Questions about Reconstruction
Step 4: Organize the Evidence
Step 5: Divide up into Teams and answer the major question of "Were African Americans free during Reconstruction?" using the evidence, timeline, and newfound arguing skills.
Step 6: Determine which side you would side with . . . base it on arguments based on logic using the documents examined about Reconstruction. Write down your answer in your notebook and give rationale.