"If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree ."
- Michael Crichton
- Today in History (May 16th)
- In 1868 the Senate hears impeachment charges against Andrew Johnson.
- In 1929 the first Academy Awards were given on this night. The term Oscars, was not used until 1931.
- In 1975 Japanese climber Junko Tabei became the first woman to summit Mount Everest.
- In 1991 Queen Elizabeth II became the first British monarch to address the United States Congress.
- Today in History (May 17th)
- In 1792 the New York Stock Exchange was established when a group of 24 brokers & merchants met by a tree on what is now Wall Street.
- In 1954 the Supreme Court ruled unanimously against segregation in schools in Brown v. Board of Education.
- In 1973 televised hearings of Watergate started up.
- In 2004 same-sex couples exchanged marriage vows for the first time in the United States in Massachusetts.
- No Quiz Today!
- Talk about schedule for the last 2 weeks . . .
- A Day Final = May 20th
- B Day Final = May 23rd
- Late Work Due Friday May 20th!! No Exceptions
- Review the Iran Hostage Crisis
- Define Reaganomics and study about Ronald Reagan.
- Read Chapter 29.
- Students should be able to explain what Reaganomics was and how it changed American in the 1980's.