"We have a tendency to condemn people who are different from us, to define their sins as paramount and our own sinfulness as being insignificant."
- President Jimmy Carter
- Today in History (May 10th)
- In 1863 Confederate General Stonewall Jackson died after being shot accidentally by his own troops.
- The United States' first transcontinental railroad was completed at Promontory Summit, Utah.
- In 1940 Winston Churchill succeeded Neville Chamberlain as the British prime minister.
- Today in History (May 11th)
- In 1858 Minnesota became the 32nd state in the United States.
- In 1949 Siam changed it's name to Thailand.
- In 1981 Reggae performer and Rastafarian Bob Marley died of cancer at the age of 36.
- In 2003 91% of Lithuanian voters opted to join the European Union - the first former Soviet nation to do so.
- No Quiz Today!
- Discuss the Iran Hostage situation that our nation and President Jimmy Carter faced in 1979.
- Watch Argo while paying close attention to what made Iranians upset with the Americans.
- Read the Article "How the CIA Used a Fake Sci-Fi Flick to Rescue Americans From Tehran"
- Be ready to discuss the article and the specifics of the situation in Iran.
- Students should be able to explain what preceded the hostage crisis in Iran and why Iranians were so irate with America.